Friday, May 15, 2015

Five for Friday 5/15/15

It has been a most exhausting week! Probably one of the most exhausting weeks since the beginning of the school year. When was that? Five, six years ago?

Anyway, I don't think I have ever been so happy to come home on a Friday afternoon. Here is a look at my week as I link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching  for Five for Friday!


Here is the thing that is most on my mind. I am going to lose a student next week. He is not moving or getting promoted to fourth grade. He is being transferred out of my room. I feel so mixed about this. First, I am sad, and I feel like a failure. 

This is a kid I have been working with all year. We have had some really good times, but we have also had some really bad times. The idea of him being transferred was brought up earlier this week when he was sent home for poor behavior. He was supposed to get it together to be able to stay. Unfortunately, though circumstances and his own choices, he was not able to do this. 

I said I wanted to keep him if we could work things out, but it was best for him (and the rest of the class) if he moved. The trouble is another kid was moved into my class (from another class in our school) a few weeks ago, and the combination of these two is just terrible! They are feeding off of each other. If I would have known this would happen, I would never have accepted the new kid. 

So, while part of me is feeling terrible about all this. Another part of me feels relieved. About 75% of all my time is taken up by this one student. Not just school time - all my time. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking of ways I can help him be successful. About 90% of my school day is redirecting him. I adore this kid, but he is exhausting me. 


Another reason this week felt so long is that our school district participated in the Washington state rolling walkouts. This was a tiring day for so many reasons. First, walking around holding a picket sign is more work than you would think. Second, I had my kindergartner and first grader with me, so lots of child management going on. And finally, I do not like conflict or controversy, and that who issue is full of both. I really need to build a thicker skin.


We started our morning at a local intersection. It was great to hear the horns honking in support of the students and teachers of our school district!


It is not very much fun for a kindergartner to picket, so luckily there was a tree to climb!



Later, we meet with other school districts at a rally in downtown Vancouver. I missed the speakers here because the girls wanted to play at the park, and it had already been a long day for them. How could I say no? Plus, this adorable girl made her own sign that said "It's time... less testing, more learning." She said she wanted to take it home and show it to her teacher. Although, I bet her teacher would totally agree!

 My week started off with a wonderful Mother's Day surprise. My wonderful husband got tickets for the big girls and me to go see Varekai - a traveling Cirque du Soleil show. To say that it was amazing does not do it justice. I was blown away by the costumes, the music, and the talent of all the performers. If you have not seen a Cirque du Soleil show and ever have the opportunity - Go!


Pre-show - Aren't they adorable?!


Post-show: Practicing! 

Both girls are totally doing dance, gymnastics, and circus camp this summer. They are so excited!


 Have you seen that Edmodo is starting their own teacher resource website? It is very similar to Teachers pay Teachers. I was experimenting with it last night, and I really like how easy it is to use. I hope that this site takes off!
Well, I don't really have a 5 - and I have to go get the little kids from daycare. So, have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. I went to a Cirque du Soleil once. Parents actually gave me two tickets! It was amazing. Your week does sound exhausting. I know what you mean about never wanting to give up on a student. I can understand how having a child moved would be relieving and sad all rolled into one. Sometimes the best thing we can do for kids is to let someone else try to help. I used to loop, and there were a couple of kids over the years who I adored who probably would've been better off with a fresh start. Enjoy your weekend!
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Jan. My husband keeps telling me it will be okay, but it is nice to hear it from a teacher :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cate! What a cute blog design! Good for you for marching. That sounds like you are fighting the good fight. We must live close to each other. I saw the Cirque show was in town (I live outside of Portland) but we missed it. Glad it was fun!
    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete