Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Friday's News

Well, I am either very late or a little early for linking up with RClassroomsRUs for Friday's News, but I just learned about this link up and I was too excited not to participate right away!


I really love linkies where all I have to do is share what I have been up to this week because that is about all I can process right now.

We are smack in the middle of testing season - my lesson plans just seem to be filled with tests. Insert sad face here. However, a bright spot was this test review activity that the kids got really excited about.

This is an old activity my mentor teacher taught me many years ago. Kids are given some math problems and have to work as a group to solve them. Sounds pretty boring, right? Wrong! The team that gets the most right first wins... Skittles!

That turned this semi-boring test prep activity into one of the best things we have done all year! My kids were so focused that a volunteer mom knocked on our door three times and no one heard her. This is not because they were loud - they were actually really quiet! Everyone was just that focused. Or she was a quiet knocker...


This is the only picture I took. I wish I had taken more! But can we all just admire the fact that at a table of four kids, here are all four kids actively involved in the assignment?! I LOVE these guys!

I wish that I had created the product they were working on (or even bought it at TpT, so I could throw some love to another seller). However, it is just the released sample items from the SBAC website.

Since I couldn't share a product related to this post, i have decided to share a FLASH FREEBIE with just the readers of this post. For the next 24 hours, one of my newest products, Hamburger Paragraphs is FREE! That is a savings of $3, or part of a fancy cup of coffee at Starbucks.


This is another activity that had my students super engaged for the entire lesson. Students put sentence strips into the correct order to create a paragraph, then use the tools provided to start writing their own paragraphs. The paragraph organizer was a great scaffold for getting my students to consistently write complete paragraphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment